How to get a BC Drivers License After You Move to Kelowna

How to get a BC Drivers License After You Move to Kelowna


Getting Organized

One of the most frustrating things about moving to Kelowna, BC is having to deal with ICBC.

You will find this if you aren’t highly organized, keeping all your important papers where you can access them easily is key.

Not to say that we aren’t organized, but you don’t know what you don’t know.

Now, before you pack up your container or your moving truck, make sure to keep your Passport out along with your Marriage Certificate and if you have changed your name, make sure you have that documentation as well.


Because you won’t be able to get a license, registration or insure your vehicle.

All of this is important because you have 90 days to switch over your license and 30 days for your registration and insurance. If this isn’t done, you likely won’t be covered if you’re in an accident here in Kelowna.

Now some will say that you can get your vehicle registered and insurance BEFORE you get your driver’s license and that is certainly true.

Don’t do it.

Get your license first, then the others come after. The sole reason is cost, if you go get your new paperwork with your old provincial license, BC will look at you as a new driver.

Here in Kelowna, your insurance costs will go through the roof.

How to get the Ball Rolling

The first thing you need to do before you even make the move to BC is to apply for BC Health Care.

You can find that link here: Apply for Medical Services Plan for BC

It takes about 4 weeks for your health care number to be generated, once you have it you can get your photos done for the card during your appointment at ICBC to get your license sorted out.

The next step after you have your BC Health Care Card Number is to make that appointment at ICBC once you’ve made it here to Kelowna.

You can do that here: Make Your ICBC Appointment and select ‘D’ in that first drop down box.

Make sure to bring two pieces of ID to the appointment, your current provincial driver’s license and your Passport will do. If you are a spouse that changed their name, you will need the marriage certificate. Also bring with you your health care number, they will need proof that this has been done and issued.

They will take your photo and issue you your paper license, your BC Health Care Card will be in the mail.

Registration and Insurance in Kelowna

Insurance in BC is administered by the government through ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia), there are autoplan providers that you can visit to get your insurance and registration for your vehicle.

But, before you do that you will need an out of province vehicle inspection if your vehicle is more than 4 years old. Do that BEFORE you go into the insurance company, they will require the paperwork when you go to register.

I’m not going to comment on insurance pricing, that is just far to subjective as it is based on driving history. Here is a great article with more information on registering your vehicle in Kelowna

Moving provinces is a daunting task, doing your research around a lot of these items is key to making that move smooth and successful.

You can do a lot of these things online prior to arriving here in Kelowna and if you need some help along the way, feel free to reach out. You can call or text 778-716-7527.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS®, and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are member’s of CREA. The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA. Used under license.